">
Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Please
Read Rules Click for Rules


ALL Open Forum Baseball Mules/HF's ATT Park FAQ&Admin

v

runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2 

 
giantc Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

MOST VALUABLE POSTER
Global user

Registered: 07-2007
Posts: 854
Reply | Quote
Re: …


McKae -- is too high using whatever the metric is. McKae has dominated A ball and was okay in AA ball, but I saw him a number of times while he played at UC Davis and his stuff is just okay -- control is excellent though.

Of course his upside could be a poor-man's Burkett, but successful control oriented righties are not that common.

Jackson Williams is also too high b/c he cannot hit -- the Giants have a couple of other catchers in the system that can hit a little bit.

Defense at the catcher position is important, but .220 hitters never become long-term solutions.

Schierholtz is not a slugger (doubles hitter with occasional HR), so his inability to take a walk is a concern.

I also have concerns regarding Bumgarner and definitely agree with Alderson's higher ranking b/c he has better secondary pitchers.

I think the following players have the best chance for long-term impact:

Villalona
Noonan
Alderson

I am also really looking forward to Denker and Bowker in the minors this season. I just wish the Giants would have Denker skip AA (and the Giants should move their AA team). I think both players could surprise by 2009.

If Denker turns out to be anything, then Sabean deserves some credit for at least moving Sweeney for something.
3/1/2008, 9:59 am Link to this post   
 
BruteSentiment Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2050
Reply | Quote
Re: …


quote:

giantc wrote:
McKae -- is too high using whatever the metric is. McKae has dominated A ball and was okay in AA ball, but I saw him a number of times while he played at UC Davis and his stuff is just okay -- control is excellent though.

Of course his upside could be a poor-man's Burkett, but successful control oriented righties are not that common.



Where McKae rated highly is that he is very much a student of the game, and has every intangible a pitcher could have. He knows how to pitch, and is already nearly a coach on the bench, but also applies it to himself. He's got no health issues, and even if his ceiling is a good middle to long reliever, I do value those kinds of pitchers highly. As I posted on McC, a reliever is more valuable in my book than a bench player, because a reliever has more chances to affect the team. Even with a lower velocity, a durable pitcher who throws strikes and knows how to set up hitters is good in that role.

quote:

giantc wrote:
Jackson Williams is also too high b/c he cannot hit -- the Giants have a couple of other catchers in the system that can hit a little bit.

Defense at the catcher position is important, but .220 hitters never become long-term solutions.



Williams broke his hand in late July last [sign in to see URL] wasn't a serious break, he missed about a couple of weeks or so. In July, he had an OBP of .347 and a slugging of .450 with four home runs in 60 at-bats. After coming back in August, he slugged just .258.

Let's see what he can do healthy before judging him. He does have contact issues, but he gets on-base better than some speedsters and has hidden power. At catcher, that can be enough combined with spectacular defense.

quote:

giantc wrote:
Schierholtz is not a slugger (doubles hitter with occasional HR), so his inability to take a walk is a concern.



I would disagree. He has the batspeed and the contact ability for his home runs to increase. More than a few of his doubles will become home runs down the line. I expect Schierholtz will hit 25 a season once he settles in, and should have a few seasons of 30+.

quote:

giantc wrote:
If Denker turns out to be anything, then Sabean deserves some credit for at least moving Sweeney for something.



Agreed. I'd say the same about the Michael Tucker trade, which was a similar sort of post-deadline, something-for-nothing deal for Kelvin Pichardo.

---
SFDugout.com - It's back! Top 50 Giants Prospects currently running!
3/1/2008, 1:06 pm Link to this post   
 
philramirez Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

ALL-STAR POSTER
Global user

Registered: 07-2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 498
Reply | Quote
One More Prospect List: SFDugout.com's Top 50!


Speaking of catchers, If Ambort can stay healthy he might be a steal... So hopefully Williams is in San Jose and a healthy Ambort is in Augusta come April.

Last edited by philramirez, 3/1/2008, 1:18 pm


---

3/1/2008, 1:18 pm Link to this post   
 


QUICK REPLY

Page:  1  2 





You are not logged in (login)

>BACK TO THE TOP<

LINKS
Retrosheet - Baseball Reference - The Baseball Cube
OFFICIAL SF Giants Board - Active Roster - 40 Man Roster
SF 2010 Schedule - SF Gate on ATT Park - KNBR Podcasts
MLB Rumors - Baseball Think Factory - Hardball Times
Fantasy Baseball Hub - Fan Graphs - Cot's Contracts
Minor Giants Daily Recap - Seat Data - SFDugout.com
AZ Giants Spring/ Fall Blog - Your Giants Korea - El Lefty Malo
Chris Haft - Huff Daddy - Inside Giants Clubhouse
McCovey Chronicles - Dodger Blues - Extra Baggs
LINKS OF FAME