">
Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Please
Read Rules Click for Rules


ALL Open Forum Baseball Mules/HF's ATT Park FAQ&Admin

v

runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4 

 
Bhaakon Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Posts: 3591
Reply | Quote
Re: Swisher Traded


quote:

Of all the people on the board, I'd have thought you, Bhaakon, would know the difference between a team's top two prospects and two top prospects.



Sickles did his Sox top 20 today, Gonzalez and Santos were 1-2 (he also said they'd be 2-3 for the A's). Both were ranked as B+, the same grade he's given to Villalona. They're not elite prospects, but not that far off of elite either.

]link


quote:

If old man skills are a consistent SLG over .440 and two straight seasons of walks of 95+ (even without speed, that's a big deal), plus a lot of intangibles, that's no small thing.




Escalating costs in arbitration for a low-payroll team aren't a small thing either. Particularly for a player who is "merely" above average for his position (unless he's a much better center fielder than I've been lead to believe).

Then there are also two very good strategic reason to deal Swisher now:
1) His value is about as high as it ever will be.
2) They've already sunk their playoff hopes (such as they were) by trading Haren. "In for a penny, in for a pound," there's no reason for the A's to play it conservative now. Simultaneously making a half-assed playoff push while making a half-assed rebuilding attempt is a conceit for rich and/or deluded teams.

Last edited by Bhaakon, 1/4/2008, 4:57 am
1/4/2008, 4:39 am Link to this post   
 
jfs6357 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 03-2007
Posts: 1871
Reply | Quote
Re: Swisher Traded


at least the A's/ Beane have the ballz to pull the trigger, concede their ineptitude and try to recreate their team. This is in direct contrast to another team in the Bay Area, who just seems to refuse defeat, clinging to an old worn out formula that leaves fans pondering the present and the future.

---
Tim Raines for Hall of Fame:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/raineti01.shtml
1/4/2008, 6:45 am Link to this post   
 
MarcoPolo666 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

LIVING LEGEND
Global user

Registered: 07-2007
Posts: 7515
Reply | Quote
Re: Swisher Traded


quote:

Bhaakon wrote:
Simultaneously making a half-assed playoff push while making a half-assed rebuilding attempt is a conceit for rich and/or deluded teams.



Funny, I've been screaming and jumping up-and-down for well over a year now that the Giants should NOT take that approach. (Not on this board, but on another - here, it's only been a few months.)

---
Do not suggest trading for somebody for only two years (unless the Giants dump a crappy contract)
1/4/2008, 1:08 pm Link to this post   
 
billabong2 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Location: Johannisfriedhof
Posts: 2354
Reply | Quote
Re: Swisher Traded


Hmmmmm . . . will Barry to Oakland pick up some heat again?

Chavey wouldn't be surprised:

[url][sign in to see URL]

Chavez: A's may still go after Bonds
Barry Bonds - OF - SF - Jan. 4 - 9:58 am et

Asked Thursday about Barry Bonds potentially signing with the A's, Eric Chavez said that he "wouldn't be surprised."

"If he's in uniform next year, there's a 90 percent chance it will be with the Oakland A's," Chavez said. "It will be old, broken-down guys, me, [Mark] Kotsay and Barry, and a bunch of 19-year-olds." Jan. 4 - 9:58 am et


---
What beauty is, I know not, though it adheres to many things.
1/4/2008, 1:12 pm Link to this post   
 
BruteSentiment Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2050
Reply | Quote
Re: Swisher Traded


quote:

Bhaakon wrote:
Sickles did his Sox top 20 today, Gonzalez and Santos were 1-2 (he also said they'd be 2-3 for the A's). Both were ranked as B+, the same grade he's given to Villalona. They're not elite prospects, but not that far off of elite either.



Boy, did I just lose a little respect for Sickels. B+ for Gio Gonzalez? That's ridiculous.

quote:

Bhaakon wrote:
Escalating costs in arbitration for a low-payroll team aren't a small thing either. Particularly for a player who is "merely" above average for his position (unless he's a much better center fielder than I've been lead to believe).



You know, if the A's can't even afford arbitration, maybe THEY NEED TO DRAW MORE FANS SO THEY DON'T NEED TO CLOSE OFF THE TOP DECK. Trading away popular players isn't a way to do that.

Counting exclusively on players to be major league playoff ready in their first three years of being in the majors is a losing proposition, in my opinion.

---
SFDugout.com - It's back! Top 50 Giants Prospects currently running!
1/4/2008, 2:10 pm Link to this post   
 
22TheThrill Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Posts: 2774
Reply | Quote
Re: Swisher Traded


quote:

BruteSentiment wrote:

quote:

Bhaakon wrote:
Sickles did his Sox top 20 today, Gonzalez and Santos were 1-2 (he also said they'd be 2-3 for the A's). Both were ranked as B+, the same grade he's given to Villalona. They're not elite prospects, but not that far off of elite either.



Boy, did I just lose a little respect for Sickels. B+ for Gio Gonzalez? That's ridiculous.

quote:

Bhaakon wrote:
Escalating costs in arbitration for a low-payroll team aren't a small thing either. Particularly for a player who is "merely" above average for his position (unless he's a much better center fielder than I've been lead to believe).



You know, if the A's can't even afford arbitration, maybe THEY NEED TO DRAW MORE FANS SO THEY DON'T NEED TO CLOSE OFF THE TOP DECK. Trading away popular players isn't a way to do that.

Counting exclusively on players to be major league playoff ready in their first three years of being in the majors is a losing proposition, in my opinion.



That's a good call Brute. Seems like we have to two extremes with GM's here in the Bay Area. Beane wants nothing but prospects in his organization, even if it means trading away cheap arbitration eligible players while Sabean never wants to admit what the true value of his players under contract are. Sabean will go to his grave still holding out hope that Durham will once again have an OPS over .800 or that Roberts is more than a 4th outfielder before he trades them for "lesser value". LOL

Just sayin'

---
------------
Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.
Leo Durocher



1/4/2008, 2:29 pm Link to this post   
 
Bhaakon Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Posts: 3591
Reply | Quote
Re: Swisher Traded


quote:

You know, if the A's can't even afford arbitration, maybe THEY NEED TO DRAW MORE FANS SO THEY DON'T NEED TO CLOSE OFF THE TOP DECK. Trading away popular players isn't a way to do that.



They're committed to the idea that the best way to draw is to win, and the best way to win, in the long run, is to make personnel decisions based purely on on-field impact and cost. It's easy to say that a popular players puts extra butts in the seats, but it's difficult to quantify the actual financial impact.

Also, you have to remember that this is a team with it's eyes firmly set on it's eventual move to a new stadium. I think they're more than willing to sacrifice the last few seasons at the NetAss to make sure they have a strong debut at their new park.

Last edited by Bhaakon, 1/4/2008, 6:39 pm
1/4/2008, 2:31 pm Link to this post   
 
FATALFART Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 11-2006
Posts: 1681
Reply | Quote
Swisher Traded


i wonder if the giants could of matched that offer with combination of sanchez, mishe, and a minor league arm
1/4/2008, 5:42 pm Link to this post   
 
Bhaakon Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Posts: 3591
Reply | Quote
Swisher Traded


I doubt it.
1/4/2008, 6:40 pm Link to this post   
 
BruteSentiment Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2050
Reply | Quote
Re: Swisher Traded


quote:

FATALFART wrote:

i wonder if the giants could of matched that offer with combination of sanchez, mishe, and a minor league arm



[sign in to see URL] has spent nearly two years in the majors. Too old and expensive!

---
SFDugout.com - It's back! Top 50 Giants Prospects currently running!
1/4/2008, 6:55 pm Link to this post   
 


QUICK REPLY

Page:  1  2  3  4 





You are not logged in (login)

>BACK TO THE TOP<

LINKS
Retrosheet - Baseball Reference - The Baseball Cube
OFFICIAL SF Giants Board - Active Roster - 40 Man Roster
SF 2010 Schedule - SF Gate on ATT Park - KNBR Podcasts
MLB Rumors - Baseball Think Factory - Hardball Times
Fantasy Baseball Hub - Fan Graphs - Cot's Contracts
Minor Giants Daily Recap - Seat Data - SFDugout.com
AZ Giants Spring/ Fall Blog - Your Giants Korea - El Lefty Malo
Chris Haft - Huff Daddy - Inside Giants Clubhouse
McCovey Chronicles - Dodger Blues - Extra Baggs
LINKS OF FAME