">
Runboard.com
You're welcome.
Please
Read Rules Click for Rules


ALL Open Forum Baseball Mules/HF's ATT Park FAQ&Admin

v

runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4 

 
OC GFan Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

MOST VALUABLE POSTER
Global user

Registered: 11-2006
Posts: 968
Reply | Quote
Gee....thanks FUG


you may now add "newspaper" to your list of accomplishments.

[sign in to see URL]



Loved the "trick"...utilized it myself to the tune of maybe 10K votes. But, c'mon- did you have to really draw this much attention to yourself?
7/5/2007, 8:47 am Link to this post   
 
bracketbuster88 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

MOST VALUABLE POSTER
Global user

Registered: 12-2006
Posts: 827
Reply | Quote
Re: Gee....thanks FUG


it really was only a matter of time. once this reaches the major newspapers, espn is gonna blow up with it. and espn is still to stupid to realize that even with our program, bonds didnt gain on griffey or beltran, only soriano. doenst make sense at all...

---
bracket...BUSTED!
7/5/2007, 10:40 am Link to this post   
 
TheMalcontent Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Posts: 3130
Reply | Quote
Re: Gee....thanks FUG


Gee if Bonds gets kicked from the Starting Lineup, then FUG can take responsability for that too, which would be a more accurate then FUG being responsible for Bonds being the starter.



---

7/5/2007, 10:40 am Link to this post   
 
deadmeat23 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

VETERAN POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Posts: 60
Reply | Quote
Re: Gee....thanks FUG


That is clear evidence that you don't provide ammo to Bonds hating sports writers.

Just a little bit of speculation sets them off.
7/5/2007, 10:49 am Link to this post   
 
The Jacq Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ball Dude
Global user

Registered: 03-2006
Posts: 233
Reply | Quote



You know, I'm still not convinced the trick worked. It's usual to see a jump in votes right before the end of the voting period, especially with the pressure put on the fans when the team is playing home. FUG was even mentioning that the other outfielders had received a high amount of votes at the same time as Bonds. Could it be that Giants are just better are advertising the All-Star Game voting, what with the game being played at home and all? Could it be that fans finally realised that it was their once in a lifetime opportunity to watch Barry play the All-Star game at home, and that he deserved it? As I said, until I see the proof that the "trick" actually works (which can probably only be done from the MLB's side, which will not happen), I will stay doubtful. Media outlets, columnists, bloggers, etc. are all too eager to jump on the story, without verifying any of it. It just sounds so good: "Barry the cheater cheated his way to the All-Star Game!" I don't believe it worked, only because I can't believe the MLB can be that stupid and inept at coding voting pages correctly (I'm an optimist like that).

That said, IF the trick actually works, it's entirely the MLB's fault. It would be a child's play to code the voting pages right to prevent this fromn happening. They can't blame people from finding loopholes in their system. It's not like the MLB All-Star game is a logical process for fans, where people want "fairness" to prevail. No. People want to see "their" team on the field, regardless of how good the aforementioned team actually is, or how good a season they've been having so far. They will do all they can for all "their" players to be on the field. Fairness and logic be damned.

FUG is not some hardcore hacker that cracked the MLB's security systems. He wrote a tiny script that MAYBE took advantage of what would be a really blatant loophole in the system. None of us are rocket scientists (as far as I know), and if one of us figured it out, I'd bet that dozens of other rabbid fans and voters figured it out as well, wrote the same exact kind of script, and sent it along to all their friends to get their voting done. But of course, "Everybody does it" isn't as good a headline as "Cheating fans send cheating Barry to All-Star Game."

my $[sign in to see URL]

Last edited by The Jacq, 7/5/2007, 10:58 am
7/5/2007, 10:55 am Link to this post   
 
TheMalcontent Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Posts: 3130
Reply | Quote
Re: …


quote:

The Jacq wrote:

You know, I'm still not convinced the trick worked. It's usual to see a jump in votes right before the end of the voting period, especially with the pressure put on the fans when the team is playing home. FUG was even mentioning that the other outfielders had received a high amount of votes at the same time as Bonds. Could it be that Giants are just better are advertising the All-Star Game voting, what with the game being played at home and all? Could it be that fans finally realised that it was their once in a lifetime opportunity to watch Barry play the All-Star game at home, and that he deserved it? As I said, until I see the proof that the "trick" actually works (which can probably only be done from the MLB's side, which will not happen), I will stay doubtful. Media outlets, columnists, bloggers, etc. are all too eager to jump on the story, without verifying any of it. It just sounds so good: "Barry the cheater cheated his way to the All-Star Game!" I don't believe it worked, only because I can't believe the MLB can be that stupid and inept at coding voting pages correctly (I'm an optimist like that).

That said, IF the trick actually works, it's entirely the MLB's fault. It would be a child's play to code the voting pages right to prevent this fromn happening. They can't blame people from finding loopholes in their system. It's not like the MLB All-Star game is a logical process for fans, where people want "fairness" to prevail. No. People want to see "their" team on the field, regardless of how good the aforementioned team actually is, or how good a season they've been having so far. They will do all they can for all "their" players to be on the field. Fairness and logic be damned.

FUG is not some hardcore hacker that cracked the MLB's security systems. He wrote a tiny script that MAYBE took advantage of what would be a really blatant loophole in the system. None of us are rocket scientists (as far as I know), and if one of us figured it out, I'd bet that dozens of other rabbid fans and voters figured it out as well, wrote the same exact kind of script, and sent it along to all their friends to get their voting done. But of course, "Everybody does it" isn't as good a headline as "Cheating fans send cheating Barry to All-Star Game."

my $[sign in to see URL]



I agree in general, but maybe MLB doctored the numbers down, I suspect that Bonds probably got 3+ Million votes on the last day and MLB said no way so they doctored them down to what Beltran and Griffey got.


---

7/5/2007, 11:25 am Link to this post   
 
UCLAgrad Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

MOST VALUABLE POSTER
Global user

Registered: 11-2006
Posts: 571
Reply | Quote
Re: Gee....thanks FUG


If FUG came up with the trick, then he has every right to boast about it. I just read the Terms and Conditions, and there's no penalty for the fraudulent voting, at least none that I saw.

MLB won't be able to do a damn thing about, not at this point. There's no way to make sure every vote is genuine AND release the winners by the deadline.

Too bad San Francisco is becoming more and more synonymous with deception.

---
I am a bear with very little brains and long words bother me.
-Winnie the Pooh
7/5/2007, 11:26 am Link to this post   
 
209Giant Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 04-2007
Location: Above the Fray
Posts: 3709
Reply | Quote



If you used different email addresses, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's not like he hacked into the MLB mainframe and manipulated teh votes that way.

So no big deal really.

---
I'm a real American hero- Like Deer Hunter DeNiro
7/5/2007, 11:42 am Link to this post   
 
TheMalcontent Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

HALL OF FAME POSTER
Global user

Registered: 10-2006
Posts: 3130
Reply | Quote
Re: …


quote:

209Giant wrote:

If you used different email addresses, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's not like he hacked into the MLB mainframe and manipulated teh votes that way.

So no big deal really.



It's just more amunition against Bonds and Giants fans for supporting him, it makes a scapegoat for ESPN to say that only Giants fans wanted him in and Bonds is the Devil whether the program actually worked or not. Any way you look at it it isn't good for the Giants or SF.

---

7/5/2007, 11:47 am Link to this post   
 
The Jacq Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ball Dude
Global user

Registered: 03-2006
Posts: 233
Reply | Quote
Re: …


quote:

TheMalcontent wrote:
It's just more amunition against Bonds and Giants fans for supporting him, it makes a scapegoat for ESPN to say that only Giants fans wanted him in and Bonds is the Devil whether the program actually worked or not. Any way you look at it it isn't good for the Giants or SF.



That's not really FUG's fault though. The media is just taking the story and running with it, without so much as giving a call to the MLB to verify that it worked, or that it even happened, for that matter (for all they know the guy that called the radio show could be a Bonds hater trying to discredit his election to the All-Star Game).

Also, if haters don't find anything bad to write about, they'll simply make !@#$ up. It reminds me of internet political discussions... People make outlandish claims about someone/something without backing them up with sources, and leave it up to their detractors to prove them wrong. In the end, they always win, because it takes much longer for others to prove them wrong that for them to invent new stories.

Last edited by The Jacq, 7/5/2007, 11:58 am
7/5/2007, 11:57 am Link to this post   
 


QUICK REPLY

Page:  1  2  3  4 





You are not logged in (login)

>BACK TO THE TOP<

LINKS
Retrosheet - Baseball Reference - The Baseball Cube
OFFICIAL SF Giants Board - Active Roster - 40 Man Roster
SF 2010 Schedule - SF Gate on ATT Park - KNBR Podcasts
MLB Rumors - Baseball Think Factory - Hardball Times
Fantasy Baseball Hub - Fan Graphs - Cot's Contracts
Minor Giants Daily Recap - Seat Data - SFDugout.com
AZ Giants Spring/ Fall Blog - Your Giants Korea - El Lefty Malo
Chris Haft - Huff Daddy - Inside Giants Clubhouse
McCovey Chronicles - Dodger Blues - Extra Baggs
LINKS OF FAME